Congenital Anomaly Scan

3d4d Ultrasound Forum

Congenital Anomaly Scan

Postby joiemd on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 am

Best done at 18-22 weeks age of gestation. - TO LOOK FOR ANY ABNORMALITIES OR MALFORMATIONS IN YOUR BABY

Good 3D4D images are often very impressive to the parents. Volumetric measurements are more accurate and both doctors and parents can better appreciate a certain abnormality or the absence of a certain abnormality in a 3D4D scan than a 2-D scan and there is the possibility of increasing psychological bonding between the parents and the baby.

An increasing volume of literature is accumulating on the usefulness of 3D4D scans in the diagnosis of congenital anomalies. Present evidence already shows that smaller defects such as spina bifida, cleft lip/palate, and polydactyly are more clearly diagnosed. Other more subtle features such as low-set ears, facial dysmorphia or clubbing of feet which is difficult to see in 2D scan can be better assessed on 3D4D, leading to more effective diagnosis of fetal abnormalities. The study of fetal cardiac malformations is also receiving attention. The ability to obtain a good 3D4D image is nevertheless still very much dependent on operator skill, the amount of amniotic fluid around the fetus, its position and the degree of maternal obesity, so that a good image is not always readily obtainable. It is best to go to reputable centers with OB-GYNE SONOLOGISTS who are really well trained.

Recently, the attraction of being able to look at the face and movements of your baby before birth in 3D4D was also enthusiastically reported in parenting and health magazines. This is thought to have an important catalytic effect for mothers to bond to their babies before birth. What are known as 're-assurance scans' and the rather misnamed 'entertainment scans' have quickly become popular.
However, as we have always emphasized - AVOID BONDING SCANS. What is important in a congenital scan is to really look for any abnormalities on your baby.
joiemd
Site Admin

Re: Congenital Anomaly Scan

Postby expectingmom on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 pm

im just wondering why my doctor wants me to have this on my 24th week if it's best to have this between 18-22 wks. im now on my 21st and i cant wait 3 more weeks to have this. will there b a big diff if i have it done earlier?

also i want to know what the 3d congenital anomaly scan includes. i mean will i get a cd of the whole thing? thanks
expectingmom

Postby joiemd on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:00 am

Good Aft,

The 18-22 wks is based on present literature, although at 24 wks, it's still OK. Actually, there will be no difference if you proceed with the cong scan now since the organs and features are already well-developed at this stage (21 wks).

Included in the 3D congenital scan package are 5 B/W pics and 3 Colored pics.
No DVD/CD for congenital scan.

IMW
joiemd
Site Admin

Postby chinita on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 am

i had my 2d ultrasound last saturday, however we're not satisfied with the quality of the images, it's blurry so we would like to have a repeat scan. Though the OB said it's "probable" were having a baby boy, we want to be certain of our baby's gender. Is it safe for the baby to have a repeat scan soon? I'm on 21st wk, when should i visit your clinic to have another scan? what package would you recommend?
chinita

Postby joiemd on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 am

Hi! It's okay to have another scan, there are no risks involved. At 21 wks, a congenital scan would be the most appropriate, and we can determine your baby's gender accurately...
joiemd
Site Admin

Postby supermom on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm

hi there...I am interested in your Congenital Anomaly Scan...i was just wondering why my OB didn't even mention this to me...anyways, I am on my 22nd week and would it still be possible for me to avail of this scan 2 weeks from now...thanks so much... :P
supermom

Postby joiemd on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi supermom! The answer is YUP, you can still have the Congenital Scan... ;)
joiemd
Site Admin

Postby supermom on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 am

hi there!!!

Just want to ask what is included in the Congenital Anomaly Screening Package you have?...in terms of what would we be expecting as for the results...

And, if it is ok for you if you could post the schedules of Dra. Illescas and Dra Sta. Ana in the IMW Glorietta Link Branch. Thanks so much... :D
supermom

Postby joiemd on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Congenital Scan Package in 2D includes a very detailed scan for any abnormal features on your baby - with 5 B/W Pics...
Congenital Scan Package in 3D is the same scan, with 5 B/W Pics and 5 Colored Pics...
Everything will be screened thoroughly... 8-)

Dr. Sta. Ana Tue 10am-7pm, Thu 10am-7pm, Fri 3-5 pm, Sunday 10am-2pm
Dr. Illescas Tue/Thu/Sat 1-8pm
joiemd
Site Admin

Postby jendmd77 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 am

unfortunatley I can't make it on my 2D CAS scan today...coz i had it yesterday na hihihi "excited"... and it's a pleasant blessing for me, my husband and my mama kasi clinic blessing din pala yesterday! :P It's confirmed mine is a baby girl everything is smooth and normal natoxic konti si Dr.Chua kasi super likot baby and breech pa. I'm very happy to see her cutey spine, toes, skull and other organs pero bait ni doc pinasilip nya ako 2x 4d kay baby at first ok lang the second time I bursted out in heavy tears of joy and overwhelming emotions: nakakuha si doc nice facial picture ni baby so cute and kamukha ni daddy nya. Naiiyak tuloy si mama at asawa ko nagulat siguro sa reaction hindi ko maexplain eh hahaha :lol: she gave us 2 black and white 4d pix (?) and 3 2d facial profile, face and a funny yawning pix ang cute hahaha :D plus one gender thermal copy. :mrgreen:

when our scan is finished we were greeted by Dr. shiela outside ( sya pala yun ;) beso beso kami kahit ngayon lang kami meet... :) at the same time nagmeryenda din kami duon. yummy :D doc is so accomodating and keeps on saying that it's a blessing daw kaya blessing din si baby kaya eat dapat kami. hahaha busog kami tatlo as in. scared pa nga ako pakita yun 4d-3d pix B/W kay doc pero she said IMW will contact me after few days since i'm present at their blessing bibigyan pa daw nya ako extra copies na colored 4d pix ni baby! sobra ako natuwa although i'm not sure kung nakarecord pa sa machine yun scan namin ni dr. chua and very short lang yun 4d preview namin...isa pa CAS 2D yun package ko...pero hopefully..X fingers...sana naman matawagan nga ako at mabigyan kahit isang copy lang :mrgreen: last night hindi ako nakatulog. so disturbed puro 4d at ultrasound dreams ko hahaha. then tititigan ko uli yun pictures ni baby.hahah toxic! I'll be back first week or 2nd week december daw for my ruby package sana cooperative uli si baby kahit toxic minsan position nya hahaha :) Will be posting her picture as soon as mascan ko na :)

thank you again for the pleasant and memorable experience. :P praying na tawagan ako ni doc shiela (IMW) for a souvenir kahit isa lang hahahah :)
jendmd77

Next

Return to 3d4d Ultrasound Forum